Extra Squash

Post-kidlet lunchbox

As noted below, I didn't get a chance to snap a photo of this one when I first put it together as I would've liked. But it looks like the kidlet was only really interested in the grapes and bell pepper (and a bit of the mayo and yogurt). So, the contents are a little worse for wear, and you don't get to see the full spread, but I figured it was still worth sharing the photo so I could at least show off the adorable bat-shaped egg. 🦇

Protein

Hard-Boiled Egg

I really wish I'd had the time and forethought to take a photo of this one. I got this adorable little egg press and made a cute little bat-shaped egg. It came out perfectly and I had intended to take a photo, but the kidlet was off to Nana's house for a sleepover tonight and in all the excitement and rushing around I forgot to do the photo thing.

Starch

Butternut-Quinoa Salad

Slightly adapted from Well Plated
I made baked squash kibbeh for dinner last night and had a bit more squash than the recipe needed, so I made a small batch of salad to go in the kidlet's lunch.

Ingredients

Salad

  • 200g cooked cubed butternut squash
  • 1/2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c. uncooked quinoa
  • 1/2 c. vegetable broth
  • 1 Tbsp. fried onion
  • 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley

Dressing

  • 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. grainy mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions

Salad

  1. Combine squash, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat until squash is lightly browned.
  2. Bring quinoa and broth to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
  3. Combine all salad ingredients and mix well.

Dressing

  1. Combine vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper and mix well.
  2. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking vigorously.
  3. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.

Dairy

Banana Yogurt


Vegetable

Bell Pepper


Fruit

Green Grapes


Dip

Mayo

Comments